Are you planning your next Florida vacation? If you're thinking about staying at a Walt Disney World Resort hotel and using an Orlando scooter rental, you might want to consider using Disney's Magical Express. This complimentary motor coach is the perfect option when you're traveling the Orlando International Airport to the hotel.
What Makes the Magical Express a Magical Choice?
Disney's Magical Express offers a number of benefits that those staying in Disney Resorts can take advantage of- especially those who use Orlando scooter rentals or other mobility aids.
You don't have to stop at the baggage claim when you get off the plane. This inconvenience can be avoided completely, as your bags will be picked up for you and delivered separately later. They will be taken directly to your room.
You won't have to search for transportation options to get to your hotel. This can be difficult, especially if you're using an electric scooter. You may wonder whether the option you choose will be scooter-friendly. With this motorcoach, you don't have to wonder. This means you can have your scooter delivered directly to their airport so it is available when you arrive or you can have it delivered to the resort, where it will be waiting when you arrive via motorcoach.
The motorcoach is complimentary for both your arrival and your departure. This saves you money and allows you to put that cost toward other, more fun, areas of your vacation.
Tips for Using the Motorcoach
If you're using the Magical Express motorcoach, whether you'll be traveling with your electric scooter or not, consider these important tips.
Make sure all of your valuable and important items, such as medications, are in your carry-on. While your luggage will arrive at your resort room, it can take up to three hours for it to do so.
Luggage delivery is only available for flights that arrive between 5:00AM and 10:00PM. If your flight arrives before or after these times, you'll need to collect your own luggage and bring it with you to the motorcoach.
Remember to keep your MagicBand on you at all times. These bands are responsible for unlocking your hotel room door, entering theme parks, and charging food and items to your room. If you haven't received your MagicBand yet, make sure you have a photo ID and your transportation vouchers in your carry-on so you can receive it when you arrive at the hotel.
By staying at the Disney Resort hotel, you are automatically enrolled in the resort's check-in service. This means you don't have to pick up your luggage and boarding pass from the airport; you can pick both of these up at the hotel so you don't have to go through the airport check-in. If your flight leaves after noon, these will be delivered right to your room.
You can drop off your Orlando scooter rental at the rental agency, or if you prefer, you can leave the electric scooter with the concierge at the resort before you board the motorcoach to the airport.
Planning on staying at Disney's Resort hotel? Take advantage of an Orlando scooter rental and Disney's Magical Express.
When you plan a trip to Orlando, Florida, you’re expecting the best of the best. You want magic, beauty, and excitement. You want to explore the various theme parks it offers, taste the best food, and enjoy luxury hotels and rental homes. The last thing you want is to become injured. Unfortunately, it happens, and when you have mobility problems, the likelihood of an injury increases dramatically.
So, what can you do about it?
Avoiding Falling on Your Vacation
- Scooter Rental in Orlando- Whether you’re traveling from your hotel room to the hotel swimming pool or you’re enjoying the magic of Disney, renting a scooter is essential to ensuring you’re as safe as possible. Being able to utilize the scooter will allow you to eliminate the need to walk any type of long distance, which greatly reduces the risk of falling or tripping, especially when your mobility is limited already.
- Equipped Hotel Rooms- When you plan your Orlando, Florida vacation, be careful how you make your hotel reservation. Be clear that you will be operating a mobility scooter and that your mobility is limited. Request a room that is on the ground floor, or one with disabled-access. As whether the room is equipped for individuals with limited mobility as well; the room may come with shower bars, hand rails, and lower countertops to accommodate for your needs.
- Equipped Vacation Homes- It’s much more difficult to find a vacation home with the scooter-friendly access, but that doesn’t mean it’s impossible. Contact a realtor while you’re planning your trip. They will be able to help you find exactly what you need; this very helpful when you don’t live nearby and are unable to visit Orlando to find the perfect rental yourself.
- Go Clutter Free- Living out a suitcase isn’t very conducive to organization, but allowing the items in your hotel room to clutter up walkways can be dangerous. Even if you only have to walk short distances, like to the bathroom or to where your scooter rental is charging on the other side of the room, making sure path is free of any clutter will help you avoid falling.
- Rely on Help- There may be instances during your trip when you won’t be able to do what you want to do if you’re in a mobility scooter. For instance, some rides and attractions at the theme parks in Orlando will require you to transfer from your scooter to a wheelchair that will fit on the ride. Don’t be afraid to rely on a bit of help when you must make these changes. Being able to stabilize yourself on the arm of someone else can keep you from becoming injured and can keep the rest of your trip from being ruined. When you’re in your vacation home, think of things the same way. If you need help getting from your scooter to your bed at night, ask for help.
Want to make the most of your trip? If your mobility is limited, do everything you can to plan to avoid falling. Find the right hotel room or vacation home, get a scooter rental in Orlando, and don’t be afraid to ask for help when you need it.
In this day and age, many of us do everything we can to save an extra dollar or two. We clip coupons, we avoid eating out, and we wear the same wardrobe for years until it’s obvious we need to update our clothing. Being frugal isn’t a bad thing. In fact, it can help you save back money to put toward the items you really need- or want. Like the Florida vacation you’ve been working towards for the last few years. Now that you’ve saved enough money, you’re ready to go enjoy yourself.
If you have limited mobility, your fun may be limited as well, especially if you’re still in the frugal mindset and refuse a mobility scooter rental. A mobility scooter rental can allow you to experience everything you want to experience in Orlando, though, and can keep you from needing frequent breaks or having to cut the fun short so you can go back to the hotel room and rest.
Not sure if you need a mobility scooter? Here are a few facts that may change your mind.
Why You Need a Mobility Scooter
- The average number of miles a person walks in ONE day while visiting Disney World is 13 miles. This doesn’t count the hours you’ll probably spend waiting in line so your daughter can ride her favorite ride for the fifth time.
- Planning on getting a room at a Disney resort? While this may get you closer to the theme park, you should still expect to walk about 15 minutes before arriving at a bus that will take you to the park.
- Thinking that staying at another Orlando resort will better appeal to your frugal mentality? While you may save a little bit of money by booking a room outside of Disney, that doesn’t mean you’ll be doing any less walking. There are an average of 20,000 rooms in each Orlando resort.
- What time of year are planning on visiting Orlando? In January the average temperature is about 72 degrees, but from April to October, you can expect to be walking in temperatures as high as 80 to 100 degrees.
What’s the Solution?
A mobility scooter rental is the smart solution when your ability to walk is limited, and you want to get the most out of your Orlando experience. While it may cost a little bit extra to use a scooter, it will allow you to get anywhere you want in Orlando and keep you from being in pain from too much walking or becoming too tired.
With the help of Florida Scooter Rentals, you can rent a scooter a reasonable price and have it delivered right to your hotel room. You’ll then be able to fold it up when you need to take your car or a cab, and you’ll be able to use it in any theme park and have access to a number of attractions. Contact us today for more information on how we can help you enjoy your Florida experience.
At first glance, a power chair and a mobility scooter rental might not look all that different. After all, they are both mobility aids that are electrically powered, right? While they may look similar to each other, each of these devices is unique and has its own set of characteristics that help set it apart.
So, which one is the one you want to rent when you vacation in Orlando?
That depends on the priorities you have, your particular physical needs, and where you will be vacationing. First, though, we need to take a few moments to consider the differences between the two.
Power chairs, or power wheelchairs are often considered sturdier than mobility scooters because of the number of wheels they have and their wider, more stable base. They can come with up to six wheels, and because their structure is made to support these wheels, they are often very durable and hefty.
Who Benefits From Power Chairs?
Power chairs offer many of the same perks that mobility scooters do, but there’s one obvious advantage for individuals who have limited upper body movement: the controls. Scooters have handle bars that you must reach for and grab in order to steer the mobility aide. Power chairs, on the other hand, have controls that are located right on the arm of the chair. Individuals who can’t move their arms or their upper body well still have the ability to control the chair via a joystick without having to worry about their disability getting in the way.
Your Mobility Scooter Rental in Orlando
When it comes to travel, scooters are the way to go. While their base might not be as wide as a power chair, this allows them to be lightweight and easily transported. Most can be dissembled and placed in the trunk of a car. Mobility scooters are often much faster than power chairs, which makes them great for outdoor use. They allow their riders to cover large distances in much less time.
Another brilliant benefit of a mobility scooter is its outdoor accessibility. Power chairs may work well indoors, but four-wheel scooters can easily handle rough terrain, broken sidewalks, and even grass.
Who Benefits From Mobility Scooters?
If you’re heading to Orlando for fun in the sun, a mobility scooter is exactly what you need. These scooters are an excellent choice for individuals whose upper body and core are strong, but who need assistance getting around. And, because they are lightweight and portable, they can easily be transported from one side of the city to the other.
Both of these mobility options can be beneficial to individuals who need help getting around while they are in Florida. However, before you think about renting your next power chair or scooter, take a few moments to really consider your level of disability, your personal needs, and how you will be using the scooter while you’re on vacation. One choice may be better than the other, and may provide you with all the support you need to enjoy yourself while in Orlando.
Mobility scooters are, for all intents and purposes, safe. After all, they are built to ensure the safety of individuals who have difficulty walking or who are unable to get around at all. When a person uses a mobility scooter on a regular basis, they learn how to operate it properly so they can stay as safe as possible. But what happens when you rent a mobility scooter in Orlando for your vacation? Can you simply sit down on it and feel secure enough to ride it throughout the city, theme parks, and any restaurants you might like to visit?
When you’re renting a mobility scooter, you may need a little extra information to ensure you are safe and secure when riding it. Here are a few tips you should consider before you begin your vacation.
Safety When You Rent a Mobility Scooter in Orlando
- Visibility- Pay close attention to your surroundings whenever you are driving a mobility scooter. These handicap-accessible chairs ride low to the ground, and while they help you get from point A to point B, cars may find them difficult to see. By paying attention when you’re in a parking lot, on the street, or among a crowd of people, you can be sure you are as safe as possible.
- Terrain- Choosing a mobility scooter rental isn’t as simple as just picking out one that you think looks nice. You need to consider how it will be used. Are you planning on only using it around the hotel or when you visit restaurants? If so, you would be safe using a three-wheel scooter. If, however, you plan on going down a sidewalk, visiting a theme park, or rolling over the occasional patch of grass, you’re going to need a four-wheel scooter. They are much safer to ride on rough terrain and have the right support to prevent you from tipping over.
- Body-Positioning- To stay as safe as possible, always make sure all of your hands, feet, and limbs are fully contained within the space of the mobility scooter. If you have a weakened leg or arm that could drop to the side, use accessories like leg and foot huggers and arm support to keep them in place. This ensures you don’t get hurt while enjoying your time in Orlando.
- Essential Accessories- Do you need to carry your cane, walker, or oxygen canister with you while you go from place to place? Don’t carry these items in your lap; you may accidentally knock over fragile items, hit pedestrians as they pass by, or even have trouble getting through narrow doorways. Instead, purchase or rent special mobility aids that can help you carry these items safely.
- The Ride- In most areas, people on mobility scooters are considered to be pedestrians. What this means is you should be on the sidewalk, not the road. Unless there’s no way around it, always keep your scooter away from traffic on the sidewalk.
When you rent a mobility scooter in Orlando, you may not know what you need to in order to remain safe. Consider these tips and rent with confidence.
If you’re planning a trip to Orlando and you’re disabled due to an injury or illness, you’ve no doubt already begun looking for everything you think you might need. Your must-have list will probably include finding a location to rent an Orlando mobility scooter, researching Orlando theme parks to determine their ability to provide you with the services you need when you visit, and finding a hotel that has all the right accommodations.
While the majority of hotels in Orlando are extremely accessible to those who rent Orlando mobility scooters, some may offer more accommodations that you had imagined. They might offer rooms that are scooter-friendly and include wall bars to help you stand and transfer. Some might offer outlets right next to the bed, so that when you transfer from your electric scooter to the bed at night, you can easily plug the scooter in so the battery will charge. A few, however, will offer something more: zero entry pools.
What is a Zero Entry Pool?
Swimming is great exercise for everyone, but even more so for those with disabilities. It creates a weightless feeling that lets those who have difficulty with mobility control their movements better. Obtaining this exercise is hard, however, without access to a zero entry pool.
A zero entry pool is a type of swimming pool that has a shallow, sloping entrance, rather than a ladder or steps. This type of ramp generally starts out with about half an inch of water and then gradually deepens as you get farther into the pool.
For guests with disabilities, this feature allows immediate access to a pool. You can either use a water-proof electric scooter to enter the pool, or simply transfer from your mobility scooter to a standard wheel chair.
While most hotels have lifts that can help disabled guests access the pool, zero entry pools offer many benefits that these lifts don’t.
Benefits of Zero Entry Pools
Available All the Time- Pool lifts may be much more common in hotels, but it is also very common for them to break down. Because of this, access to the pool is not always available to those who have had to rent an Orlando mobility scooter or those with mobility problems. Zero entry pools guarantee access every single day- and they don’t have to be replaced or repaired because they don’t have mechanical parts that will break down.
Independence- Unlike with pool lifts, individuals who need the assistance of an electric scooter or wheelchair don’t have to wait until hotel staff is available to enter the pool. This allows them to maintain their independence.
Safety- Because zero entry pools begin with only half an inch of water, disabled individuals can judge for themselves how far they should and should not go. Because those that are disabled are more apt to know their limitations, this often reduces chances of injuries and accidents.
Fun with Families- Hotels that don’t offer zero entry pools are often filled with families who stay behind in their room or re-plan their activities, simply because their disabled family member can’t join in the fun. This isn’t what a vacation is about. Zero entry pools allow everyone to join in and have the time of their lives.
Your Electric Scooter and Zero Entry Pools
If you have to rent an Orlando mobility scooter to help you get around, consider finding a hotel that will make your vacation easier and a lot more exciting. Look for accommodations that you don’t normally find, like specially designed rooms and zero entry pools.
Renting a mobility scooter in Orlando means you’ll have access to some of the most exciting attractions in the city- no matter what level of mobility you have. One of the most attractive options for visitors to Florida is Disney’s Animal Kingdom. Here, both children and adults can experience all the magic of Disney with more than 1,700 animals, various rides and attractions, entertaining musicals, and expeditions.
Being in a mobility scooter doesn’t mean you have sacrifice the fun and excitement of an Orlando vacation. When you visit the Animal Kingdom, you’ll have access to almost everything, including the following.
Attractions for Those Using Mobility Scooters in Orlando
Tree of Life Garden- The tree of life, located on Discovery Island in the Animal Kingdom, is a sculpted masterpiece that expresses nature and its intricate balance. It’s 145 feet tall, 50 feet wide, and is home to more than 300 animal carvings along its trunk. It’s also home to several live animals, including kangaroos, tortoises, flamingos, and lemurs. Inside the tree of life is a theater, where It’s Tough to be a Bug! can be seen in 3D animation. This multimedia show starring the cast of A Bug’s Life is accessible to those using mobility scooters as well.
The Boneyard- Have young children who are eager to explore? Young paleontologists under the age of ten can visit the Boneyard, and you can too! Here you can watch as your children make prehistoric discoveries.
Maharajah Jungle Trek- You don’t have to be worried about being left behind when it comes to exploring the wilds of Asia. This jungle trek leads you through the Anandapur Royal Forest, home to tropical trees, wild animals, and ruins. Here you’ll navigate trails, see beautiful waterfalls, and behold a palace that is centuries old and seems to be frozen in time. While you’re exploring, you may come across fruit bats, flying foxes, Asian tigers, Elds deer, blackbucks, and more than 50 types of birds.
Finding Nemo, The Musical- You loved the movie, now you can see the musical on stage in the Animal Kingdome. In this 40 minute show, experience the harrowing adventures of Marlin and Dory as they set off to find Marlin’s lost and kidnapped son, Nemo. Along the way, you’ll be reunited with friends you came to love in the hit movie as well, like Nigel the pelican and Crush the turtle.
Pangani Forest Exploration Trail- Would you like to experience the heart of Africa? This exploration trail is open to individuals in mobility scooters and is sure to please. It features a number of exotic animals that can be found throughout the sprawling savannah and jungle forest. Here you’ll meet meerkats, emerald starlings, Angolan black monkeys, a Nile hippopotamus, and even western lowland gorillas.
Renting mobility scooters in Orlando can help you gain access to a number of attractions you might not be able to experience without some mobility help. This is especially true in Disney’s Animal Kingdom, where fun and excitement are waiting just for you.