So, you’re thinking about taking this year’s vacation in Orlando, Florida. It’s the perfect place, really, with all the attractions, entertainment, and fine dining available. If you’re disabled in such a way that you can’t walk or have trouble walking very long distances, however, you might have to consider a scooter rental in Orlando. This will allow you to easily get from place to place, so you can take part in all the fun with the rest of your family.
Of course, renting a mobility scooter means you’ll have to think a bit more carefully when planning your vacation. The places you go and the hotel you stay in will all have to accommodate your needs and the space required to use scooter. Luckily, this isn’t difficult in Florida. In fact, you’ll find almost every attraction, recreational activity, and lodging choice is especially equipped to accommodate your physical needs.
Getting a Mobility Scooter-Friendly Hotel
Florida law is very strict about how businesses and hotels provide for handicapped guests. In fact, state statutes mandate that every licensed hotel and facility for lodging must make sure that at least five percent of their rooms accessible to those who are disabled in any way. The various features that are available in these rooms will vary, depending on the resort or hotel you select, but many will offer the following:
- Lowered toilet seats
- Roll-in showers with foldable chairs
- Handrails near the toilet and bathtub for easy transfers
- Lowered countertops
- Lower peepholes
- Handheld shower nozzles
- Lowered faucets
- Rooms available on lower levels
- Rooms available by hotel elevator
Outside of these hotel rooms, disabled guests using scooter rentals in Orlando can take advantage of even more of the hotel’s accommodations. While each hotel will vary, many offer:
- Special parking permits provided by the establishment. Even if your vehicle is from out-of-state, if it displays a disability parking permit, you are still allowed to park in spaces designed for those with disabilities.
- Restrooms in the lobby, pool area, and even in the bar or restaurant that are mobility scooter accessible.
- You’ll have access to easy to use ramps in common areas, so you never feel as if you are left out of the fun.
- Zero-entry pools, or pools that have ramps going right into the pool, allow individuals in wheelchairs and scooters to go swimming even if they can’t leave their chair. Chair lifts are also available in most hotels that do not have zero-entry available. Most hotels also have wheelchairs available so for you to transfer to so you don’t have to get your scooter wet.
If you are interested in enjoying a fun-filled vacation in Florida, but feel as if you will become too tired if you are forced to walk around with a cane or walker, you should consider an Orlando scooter rental. Every licensed hotel in Florida will be able to accommodate your mobility scooter and provide you with a number of features you’ll be able to utilize and enjoy while on vacation.