There are many ways to get around Orlando, Florida when you’re on vacation when you’re traveling via scooter. Florida is very scooter-friendly and offers a number transportation options to choose from, like public busses with hydraulic lifts and the Amtrak. Theme parks like Disney World even accommodate your scooter rental in Florida, with options like their monorails, shuttle busses, and watercraft.
Sometimes, however, you may not want to take advantage of these options, especially if you aren’t travelling far from your hotel. You may instead want to take a car or a cab. While you may not be able to get into a car with your scooter, scooter rentals in Florida can easily be disassembled (and re-assembled) so they can fit into any trunk. This convenience allows you to take your mobility scooter with you wherever you might want to go.
Disassembling Your Scooter Rental in Florida
While it is easy to break down and store mobility scooters for transport in a car or cab, the specific way each brand or model is disassembled with vary. Because of this, you will want to take the time to speak to the individual delivering the rental and have them show you exactly how your scooter can be disassembled. This generally does not take long and it will save you time in the long run if you know what you’re doing. In most cases, as well, disassembly requires little to no tools.
Although each scooter is different, the majority of mobility scooters can be disassembled with the following steps.
- Turn the power off and remove the key from the mobility scooter. This is essential as the key may break when you are disassembling the scooter if it is not removed first.
- Lift the seat off of its post, and if possible, fold the seat down. Some scooters may require you to fold the seat down first before lifting it straight up and off.
- If the mobility scooter rental came with a basket, remove it.
- Take the battery pack off carefully by disconnecting the cables and lifting the battery carefully.
- If the scooter has a connector, generally located at the back of the scooter, use it. This will allow you to separate the body of the scooter into different sections.
- After you have completed everything, lower the tiller and make sure it has been locked into place. The tiller is the steering column at the front of the mobility scooter where the speed controls and forward/reverse directional switches are located.
It’s as simple as that! Remember, your mobility scooter may require more work or even less. However, the process is quite easy and fast, and it will allow you to place the scooter in a trunk or even in the seat of a car because it is separated into a few different pieces. When you need to ride your scooter rental in Florida again, just reverse the steps and put all the pieces back together, making sure they are securely in place.