When you plan a trip to Orlando, Florida, you’re expecting the best of the best. You want magic, beauty, and excitement. You want to explore the various theme parks it offers, taste the best food, and enjoy luxury hotels and rental homes. The last thing you want is to become injured. Unfortunately, it happens, and when you have mobility problems, the likelihood of an injury increases dramatically.
So, what can you do about it?
Avoiding Falling on Your Vacation
- Scooter Rental in Orlando- Whether you’re traveling from your hotel room to the hotel swimming pool or you’re enjoying the magic of Disney, renting a scooter is essential to ensuring you’re as safe as possible. Being able to utilize the scooter will allow you to eliminate the need to walk any type of long distance, which greatly reduces the risk of falling or tripping, especially when your mobility is limited already.
- Equipped Hotel Rooms- When you plan your Orlando, Florida vacation, be careful how you make your hotel reservation. Be clear that you will be operating a mobility scooter and that your mobility is limited. Request a room that is on the ground floor, or one with disabled-access. As whether the room is equipped for individuals with limited mobility as well; the room may come with shower bars, hand rails, and lower countertops to accommodate for your needs.
- Equipped Vacation Homes- It’s much more difficult to find a vacation home with the scooter-friendly access, but that doesn’t mean it’s impossible. Contact a realtor while you’re planning your trip. They will be able to help you find exactly what you need; this very helpful when you don’t live nearby and are unable to visit Orlando to find the perfect rental yourself.
- Go Clutter Free- Living out a suitcase isn’t very conducive to organization, but allowing the items in your hotel room to clutter up walkways can be dangerous. Even if you only have to walk short distances, like to the bathroom or to where your scooter rental is charging on the other side of the room, making sure path is free of any clutter will help you avoid falling.
- Rely on Help- There may be instances during your trip when you won’t be able to do what you want to do if you’re in a mobility scooter. For instance, some rides and attractions at the theme parks in Orlando will require you to transfer from your scooter to a wheelchair that will fit on the ride. Don’t be afraid to rely on a bit of help when you must make these changes. Being able to stabilize yourself on the arm of someone else can keep you from becoming injured and can keep the rest of your trip from being ruined. When you’re in your vacation home, think of things the same way. If you need help getting from your scooter to your bed at night, ask for help.
Want to make the most of your trip? If your mobility is limited, do everything you can to plan to avoid falling. Find the right hotel room or vacation home, get a scooter rental in Orlando, and don’t be afraid to ask for help when you need it.
Are you planning on vacationing in Florida? If you have a disability that prevents you from walking long distances or walking without the help of an aide like a walker or cane, you might want to consider an Orlando scooter rental. With a scooter, you can easily get about, and because you’ll be less tired, you’ll be able to enjoy more of your vacation.
If you’re never operated a mobility scooter before, you may first simply think that others around you should automatically respect your space so you can smoothly operate the equipment. While this is definitely true, it’s a two-way street. Understanding mobility scooter etiquette and being courteous and conscientious of those around you will make your trip to Orlando much more pleasurable and safe for you and other pedestrians.
Mobility Scooter Etiquette Tips
- While you may be operating an electric mobility aide, you are still considered a pedestrian. If at all possible, always stay on the sidewalk or footpath and avoid riding on the road.
- If you need to stop to do something, such as talk to a friend or even just look through your purse for something, move off of the sidewalk. This will give those around you plenty of space to pass you.
- Many mobility scooters can operate at relatively fast speeds. When you’re around others, though, that doesn’t mean you should drive as fast as possible. Keep your speeds safe so you can stop quickly if necessary and won’t endanger others.
- Think of riding your Orlando scooter rental the same way you think of driving a car. Keep to the right and pass on the left.
- If you need to pass someone, always look behind you first to ensure no one is going to be hit when you maneuver the scooter.
- If you receive a cell phone call, don’t try to operate your Orlando scooter rental and talk at the same time. Your driving will become much worse, not only because your attention is on the call, but also because you are only using one hand to steer instead of two.
- When you approach others from behind, are coming up to a covered driveway, or are making a turn where you can’t see what’s on the other side, always alert others of your presence. Mobility scooters are relatively silent; using your horn can keep you and others safe.
- If you are going into a restaurant and have the ability to walk without your scooter, use another mobility aide to get around, such as your crutches, walker, or cane. Park the scooter at the side of the dining area, out of the way. If you do need the scooter, talk to the restaurant staff and request a table that you can easily get up to and away from so you aren’t bumping into other diners.
When you pick up your Orlando scooter rental, we want you to be as safe as possible. Part of ensuring that is making sure you know how to operate the mobility scooter and understand these simple, yet necessary rules of etiquette.
If you have trouble getting around or are disabled because of an injury or illness, renting a mobility scooter when you’re planning an Orlando vacation is an excellent idea. However, there is a lot of thought that needs to go into choosing the best scooter for you. Mobility scooter rentals in Orlando are available in two different models: three wheel and four wheel. Depending on what you plan on doing on your vacation, where you plan on going, your height, and your weight, one may be more beneficial to you than the other.
Why? Some scooters are compact and designed for portability, travel, and indoor use. Others are better for rugged terrain and outdoor use. Let’s take a look at the differences between three and four wheel mobility scooter rentals in Orlando so you can determine which one is best for your personal mobility and which one matches your physical abilities.
Choosing Your Mobility Scooter
The Three Wheel Mobility Scooter
Mobility scooters with three wheels can provide you with all the necessary ‘go’ you need to explore Orlando and its many attractions. Whether you intend to visit Disney World, Sea World, or just explore the local museums, however, you need to make sure this scooter is right for you. Let’s take a look at the best ways to use this type of scooter.
- Three wheel scooter work best for indoor use or when navigating over smooth surfaces. This means they can be used for outdoor use, but in order to remain safe and upright, you should not travel with them over grass or uneven pavement. Choosing this scooter means you’ll need to stick to smooth sidewalks, roads, and parking lots whenever you’re outside.
- This type of scooter is brilliant for narrow spaces as it has a sharper turning radius. If your hotel has limited space or you plan on visiting restaurants that may be crowded, a three wheel scooter can get you in and out without much a hassle.
- Are you a little taller than the average person? Three wheel scooters are perfect for tall individuals, as they offer more leg room.
Four Wheel Mobility Scooters
Ready to get out and explore Orlando with your mobility scooter? Let’s take a look at the benefits it can provide and see if it is the right rental option for you.
- Four wheel mobility scooters offer better weight distribution. This is very beneficial if you are a little heavier, as the mobility scooter is much less likely to tip over if you have to travel over hilly or uneven ground.
- This type of scooter can go almost anywhere, even over rough terrain. This means it’s the perfect scooter to take to Disney World, Sea World, museums, restaurants, or even the golf course.
- For some individuals, four wheel scooters simply ‘feel’ safer because of their sturdier, wider, and broader wheelbase. While three wheel scooters are perfectly safe, your peace of mind is important. If you prefer the four wheel scooter because you think it feels safer and more sturdy, it is the best option for you.
As always, your weight, height, and the size of the scooter are crucial when choosing a mobility scooter rental in Orlando. Before you pick a three wheel or four wheel model, though, consider where you are going and how the scooter makes you feel. With this in mind, you’ll always choose the best option for you.